At Glow With Us Mobile Massage, our focus is to address the different needs of the pregnant woman during each stage of her pregnancy, both physical and emotional. Every pregnancy is unique and possesses different characteristics, therefore each massage therapy treatment will be tailored specifically to meet each woman’s individual needs. A variety of massage techniques can be implemented such as swedish massage, joint play, trigger point therapy, breathing and visualization education and suggestions for self care at home.
Pregnancy and Massage Therapy: Benefits
- Assists in fetal development by supporting the body’s circulation, bringing more oxygen and nutrients to the fetus and removing stagnant fluids
- Therapeutic touch provides your developing baby with stimulating and nurturing input
- Encourages a healthy labor, eases muscular tension, increases hip flexibility and reduces swelling and other discomforts
- Increases endorphins and serotonin, promoting hormone balance, relaxation, and a sense of well-being for both mother and baby
- Based on your request, we use pregnancy bolsters and pillow system, OR incorporate a side-lying position. We believe in the absolute comfort and safety of our clients.
Prenatal Massage: Safety
Pregnant woman should consult with their health care provider before having massage therapy to ensure safety. There are many advantages to having therapeutic massage before, during and after pregnancy, as long as there are no serious complications. It is very important to work with a knowledgeable, registered massage therapist before incorporating therapeutic massage therapy into their care.
When to Avoid Massage Therapy During Pregnancy
- If you are experiencing nausea, and vomiting
- You’re at high risk for miscarrige
- If you have a high-risk pregnancy such as placental abruption (where the placenta slightly detaches from the wall of the uterus) or preterm labor
- Woman with blood clots or clotting disorder
Benefits of Postpartum Massage
- Addresses the stress of carrying and caring for a newborn
- Speeds recovery from labor by bringing relief of sore muscles and help the mother to relax more easily
- Helps with postpartum emotions (the baby blues), anxiety/depression
- Addresses postural dysfunction
- Decreases stress hormones
Massage therapy can be extremely beneficial in the postpartum period to help with fatigue, as well to help facilitate healthy lactation.
The transition from maternity to motherhood is an exciting, stressful, and busy time in your life. The benefits of receiving a therapeutic massage can help to ease the pains and stresses that caring for a new baby can bring. Self care is valuable and important at this time in your life, take the time to care for yourself.